Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Working with Git

So today I decided that I want to get with Git, the distributed software version control system that's taken over by storm.

The easiest way was to download Git from their git-scm.com.  They have great tutorials, and you're up and running in minutes.  I wish I had this back when I was doing development.  It has certainly helped with my simple projects this week.

IBM has their Git repository at jazzhub.  Google has theirs.  That makes it easy.  Both IBM BlueMix and Google GCloud, when you create a new project, give you the link to the Git repository for that project.  After that all you have to do is clone it, write code on your machine, commit, and push your code up to the cloud and after a build, it's working.

eGit is a nice add on for eclipse, but you have to watch eclipse versions.  I had some trouble with a missing Apache HttpClient, so it took a little work.  But basically you don't really need it, as long as you're OK with command line.

So, Hourray for Git.

No comments:

Post a Comment