Monday, December 22, 2014

IBM's Internet of Things Foundation

I'm always amazed at what IBM offers.  IBM hosts MQTT services in the cloud.  We just happen to have been discussing MTQQ recently, so this topic fits right in.

IoT Foundation is IBM's Cloud Based MQTT service - https://developer.ibm.com/iot/recipes/improvise-application-development/

And IoT Foundation is available on BlueMix.  So maybe we'll start there.

Logging into BlueMix, I'll add the IoT Service to my existing application, MQTTMaps.  that's convenient because I'm emitting MQTT messages anyway.

When I do that, BlueMix asks if I want to rehost in order to take advantage of IoT... Sure...

IoTF seems to be about Devices and about Organizations.  It wants me to register each of them.  Let's see...

My Device is an MQTTMap Marker, and there might be different kinds in the future depending on the mouse click.

It provides some predefined devices from major manufacturers:

  • ARM mbed device
  • Texas Instruments BeagleBone with Sensor Tag device
  • Texas Instruments SimpleLink CC3200 device
  • Intel Galileo device
  • Raspberry Pi Model B device
  • Arduino Uno device
  • Connect my own registered device
  • Connect other devices  
That's fine.  I think I'll be using Connect Other Devices.

And then BlueMix wants me to create a Node-Red application.

After that it says that I can visualize my devices... so I want to see how that's done...

And then Analytics and Hadoop... 

There's some cool stuff here...

I need to get started...

No comments:

Post a Comment