Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Getting Comfortable with BlueMix

So today I wanted to take my existing web application / demo that I've been working on, and move it up to BlueMix.  I currently have the project stored in an eclipse workspace on my hard drive as an eclipse project.  What I want to do is store that project in BlueMix.

The first step is to create a project in BlueMix.  There are a few ways to do this.  You can start with a pre-built template.  Or you can just create a project.  A pre-built template has some advantages, but also has a learning curve.  You have to understand what the template is providing and how to modify it to meet your needs.

So I'll go with an empty project.  From BlueMix. Click on My Stuff. From there click on Create Project.  This will create an empty project and give you a link to a git repository.

Back on the workstation, go to your eclipse project folder.  From the command line do a 'git init', and then a 'git add -all', and finally a 'git remote bluemix {add the url to your bluemix repository}'.  Then 'git commit', and 'git push bluemix master', and your project will be up in JazzHub where you can share it with others.

At this point though, there's no build process for your project up in BlueMix.  That means, while all of your stuff is technically up there, BlueMix does not know how to build and deploy it.  Hmmm... that's a problem for another day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment