Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Welcome

I've got my developer hat on.  That's what this is about.  Problems I've run into.  Simple fixes.  Things I'm working on.  Why they're compelling.

Yesterday I had someone ask me to look at a JRules runtime and why it was running slowly.  Sounded like a good opportunity to bust out JMeter.  I've wanted to do some timings against some different implementation typologies for a while.

JMeter is trivial as an HTTP Proxy.  But getting Firefox to work through a proxy can be confusing.  There are great tutorials on JMeter HTTP Proxy, so I won't repeat those.  What the Firefox set up instructions neglect to tell you is that Firefox by default does not run localhost through a proxy, but runs everything else through a proxy.  That's kind of the opposite of what I need.

The behavior is that JMeter simply doesn't respond to anything on localhost.  And since all I"m testing against is localhost, I figured JMeter was broken, as it didn't report anything.  Then I noticed that it picked up my google search.  Ah ha.  It was working, just not on localhost.

I needed to go back into Firefox, options, advanced, how firefox connects to Internet (settings)... and there you find that it is ignoring localhost.!  Clear that and Bob's your uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment